Youth Apprenticeship (YA) is a 1 or 2-year program that gives juniors and seniors in high school the chance to explore a career area of interest. Students spend part of their school day earning credit and wages while they gain valuable industry experience under the guidance of a local business mentor.
Employers play an integral role in developing successful youth apprenticeships experiences.
- Increase visibility of employer’s industry / business
- Access to quality, prescreened workers who are eager to learn and have interest in the profession
- Quality, prescreened youth apprentices who receive ongoing support during their apprenticeship
- A method to address future hiring needs in a cost-effective and timely manner
- Opening to help educational personnel develop job-specific proficiencies
- Chance to become involved with worksite curriculum and shape the skills, expectations and habits of youth apprentices